Well, you’ve just done it. You’ve just gone out and purchased your very first reclaimed wood dining room table. You love its unique characteristics and the durability it provides; and the fact that it is an eco-friendly piece of furniture is an added bonus.
Your new addition is so lovely, you feel the need to celebrate. You decide that a dinner party will be the perfect way to break in your dining room table. But to really show it in its best light, the setting will have to be perfect.
Read on to find out how to set your dining room table to make your celebration everything you want it to be.
It’s All About Logic
Setting a dining room table may seem like a daunting task but when you take a logical approach it will all make sense.
Utensils and plates should be set out in such a way that guests will have access to what they need when they need it. Therefore, the plates and utensils needed for the earlier courses should be placed closest to them.
As plates and silverware are used and taken away, guests will have access to the plates and utensils they need for later in the meal. So, for instance, salad plates, soup bowls and the appropriate utensils should be closest to the guests when they are starting the meal while entrée and dessert plates and utensils will be placed farther away.
Let’s see how this plays out in a casual table setting.
Setting a Casual Table
Here are the steps you will want to take for setting a casual table:
- Start with a placemat.
- Put the dinner plate in the center of the placemat.
- Place the salad plate on top of the dinner plate.
- If you are starting the meal with soup, place the soup bowl on top of the salad plate.
- Lay a napkin to the left of the plate.
- Place a fork on the napkin.
- Place a knife directly to the right of the plate and a spoon to the right of the knife.
- Place a water glass directly above the knife.
- Place another glass slightly above the water glass. This will be used for wine or another beverage.
Setting a Formal Table
If you are having a formal meal, you will want to make some changes to the casual setting. Here are the steps you should take.
- Start with an ironed tablecloth.
- Set a charger at each seat.
- Place a soup bowl on top of the charger.
- Place a bread plate to the top left of the charger
- Place a napkin to the left of the charger.
- Place a dinner fork on the napkin and a salad fork to the left of the dinner fork.
- Place a knife to the right of the charger and a soup spoon to the right of the knife.
- Place a butter knife horizontally on top of the bread plate with the blade facing inward.
- Place a dessert spoon directly above the charger.
- Place a water glass above the knife. A white wine glass will go to the right of the water glass and slightly below it. A red wine glass will go to the right of the water glass and slightly above it.
Now that you know how to set your reclaimed wood table, you are one step closer to being ready to entertain your guests. Figuring out what you’re going to serve is the next step! Good luck hosting a celebration everyone is sure to enjoy.